11 January 2013

The Cookbook Challenge #2



I'm smitten!

And my crush is the little cookbook Santa brought me called The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo.  I know I've only recently posted about Rachel's cookbook, but this is what happens to me when I get a crush (some may call it being obsessed).  I want to try making everything from cover to cover, and so far I seem to be on track.

Presenting recipe #2 in the 2013 Cookbook Challenge:

Creme Vichyssoise au Chou-Fleur Glace

(iced cauliflower and potato soup)
The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo



1 small head of cauliflower (approx 600g), chopped into florets
240g potatoes, cur into large chunks
1 onlion, chopped
a knob of butter
1.2 litres of chicken or vegetable stock
600ml milk (I didn't need the whole 600ml)
100g creme fraiche, plus a little extra for serving (I actually used yoghurt instead)
salt and white pepper
a handful of chopped chives

Gently fry the vegetables in the butter for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft but not golden.  Add the hot stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.  Leave to cool slightly before stirring in the milk and creme fraiche, then whizz in an electric blender until smooth and season.

Refrigerate the soup until cold for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight and taste for seasoning before serving extra cold, garnished with a dollop of creme fraiche and chopped chives.


Perfect for these warm Melbourne summer nights (and even more perfect if you're planning a picnic), this updated vichyssoise, using cauliflower instead of the traditional leek, is a lot milder in flavour but still just as yummy. Please don't be put off by cold soup - it's worth the work, and if you really can't face eating it cold, then it's just as delicious nice and warm....perhaps a baguette to use for mopping up the bowl?




3 comments:

  1. Love these blue .. pots? Cups? They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jac - how gorgeous are they! Yoghurt pots all the way from France. The cheapest souvenir I bought back with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cold one! interesting. Thanks for supporting Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!