15 March 2013

Cookbook Challenge #10



Whilst relaxing in the park one lazy Saturday morning (as seen here), flicking leisurly through some of my many French cookbooks, I came across this recipe. 

I'm a big lover of soup in Winter and I find it is my go-to staple for mid-week meals.  I'm not such a fan during the Summer time - go figure!  However this soup seemed a little different.  It looked fresh, light and packed full of yummy vegetables - and it was French.  I was sold


Soupe au Pistou
The Little Paris Kitchen by Rachel Khoo


 
~  ~  ~
 
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed into a paste
1 sprig of thyme
2 bay leaves
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 carrots, diced
2 zucchini, diced
200g green beans, quartered
400g tin white beans, drained and rinsed
2 litres boiling water
1 tbsp salt
pinch of sugar
Pepper
100g dried pasta (a small variety)
200g fresh or frozen peas

For the pistou
1 bunch of basil
3 cloves of garlic
3-4 tbsp good extra virgin olive oil

For the pistou, simply pound the ingredients int a smooth paste (or whizz in an electric blender).

For the soup, heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions and garlic and cook gently, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent.  Add the thyme, bay leaves, tomato paste, carrots and zucchini and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are al dente.  Add the green and white beans with the boiling water and bring to a boil, then add the pasta and peas.  Cook for 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.  Remove the sprig of thyme and the bay leaves, then add the salt and sugar plus pepper to taste. serve with a dollop of the pistou.
 
~  ~  ~


If you're a fellow Melburnian, you've just gone through our unusally long end of Summer heatwave. 

Me + hot weather = disaster!

No food that requires heating has passed these lips for sometime, so when I tell you that I've been eating this soup cold (and loving it), you understand why.

Each mouthful felt like it was doing me the world of good, and the pistou (from the Italian pesto family) added such a yummy freshness.



2 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of soups during summer either although the freshness of vegetables and
    Basil would make it taste more spring like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We finally have soup weather in Melbourne and I'm a happy girl again! I can now eat it warm again. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!