13 June 2014

Getting back on track . . .



Well, the holiday is well and truly over..sob..sob.

As much as I love the freedom of travelling (especially in France), a small part of me always loves coming home to my own bed, my own shower and my everyday eating routine.  Are you the same?

So this little lady has decided to go back to basics.  I'm back off fructose, gluten and basically anything processed to try and be good to this poor little tummy of mine.  Giving my body a chance to get back to neutral.  I'm giving it a big love-filled hug by filling it full of highly nutritious plant food, protein and good fats.  It's thanking me for it.

So in ode to "getting back on track", my oven was switched on and this little treasure came popping out.




I LOVED IT and I have a feeling you will too!

It's super quick to make, it's tasty as hell, it freezes brilliantly and it can be popped straight into the toaster frozen.

See!  How could you not love it?






Veggie Bread
(recipe from the I Quit Sugar Website)



Ingredients

1 1/2 cup almond meal.
3/4 cups arrowroot flour.
1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.
5 eggs.
1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
1 large zucchini, grated.
1 large carrot, grated.
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese.
2 tablespoons pepitas.

Makes 1 loaf
Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a standard loaf tin with baking paper.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, arrowroot, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
  3. In a separate bowl and using a fork, whisk the eggs lightly with the apple cider vinegar. Add zucchini, carrot and cheese and whisk well.
  4. Add the egg mix to the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine. Pour the dough into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle with pepitas.
  5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top starts turning golden and a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool for five minutes before slicing into 1.5cm thick slices.











I topped mine with a mix of avocado, feta and a squeeze of lemon juice (above) for a quick and yummy lunch.

To freeze - just simply place baking paper (wax proof paper) between each slice, pop into zip lock bags and freeze.  Voila!




4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Melbourne, it must feel bittersweet to be home, its is definitely comforting to return back to your old routines and eat what you are most familiar and comfortable. I can resonate with that as I am definitely a creature of habit, I can eat the same lunch every single day and not feel bored or visit the same cafe/restaurant and order the same dish everytime. But this year I want to challenge to my palate and try out new food especially from different cultures. Thank you again for sharing all the beautiful photos and stories from your trip, it has made me extremely excited about my Europe trip! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicia - can't wait to hear all your travel stories now. I hope you have as wonderful a time as I did! x

      Delete
  2. Oooo! That looks and sounds so great. Anything that is so easy to bake suits me ! Welcome back. I know it is lovely to travel but so great to come home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Nothing really beats your own bed, does it.:)

      Delete

Love to hear from you!