07 July 2014

Secret Recipe Club - July!




Say hi to Nichole!

Nichole comes all the way from Baltimore and started cooking out of necessity (to stop her eating burnt food).  Don't you just love it!  She's also the mother of two cats and the brains behind the blog Cookaholic Wife, which just happens to be my Secret Recipe Club partner for the month of July.





The recipe I've chosen from Nichole's HUGE list of recipes is one that is near and dear to my heart.  It's a French classic, it's the perfect dish for these cold Winter days we're experiencing here in Melbourne and it's my sort of comfort food at its very best.  It also happens to be one of the very first French dishes I tried my hand at.....






The Ultimate French Onion Soup


I did make a couple of little changes to Nichole's recipe, purely for my own taste buds.  This included using chicken stock instead of beef (I'm not a huge fan of beef stock and prefer the lightness that the chicken stock gives), as well as using a lot less flour - I've not enjoyed the flavour or texture a lot of flour has given to this soup in past recipes I've tried.

Maybe give both recipes a try and see which one you prefer?  I'd love to know.

~

Also, what do you think of my gorgeous little French onion soup bowls that survived the trek all the way from Provence, made by hand by the gorgeous and super talented Pascale (see here).







Ingredients

heaped tbsp coconut oil (or butter)
3 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup red wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp flour
2 thick slices of baguette
handful of grated cheddar
salt and pepper to taste

Serves 2



Instructions

  1. In a large pot melt the coconut oil/butter over medium heat and add in the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and salt and pepper, cooking until soft and almost caramelised - about 25 minutes.
  2. Add in the wine and bring to a boil, reducing the heat and simmering until the wine has almost completely evaporated. Remove the bay leaves and thyme.
  3. Add the flour to the pan and stir well until all of the onions are coated and cook for a minute or two.
  4. Add the stock and bring the soup back up to a simmer, seasoning to taste.  Cook for 5-10 minutes more.
  5. For the bread, preheat the grill and arrange slices of bread on a foil lined baking sheet, topped with the cheese and grill for 1-2 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
  6. Ladle soup into bowls and top with the melted cheese bread.








22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bowls! I never thought to use chicken stock instead, I'll have to try that out. I'm glad you liked this, it's one of my favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration Nichole - I struggled to decide on a dish you had so many lovely ones! :)

      Delete
  2. I love soup, period. Even in summer. I haven't made French onion soup in ages, and this makes me want to. Soon. Even if I don't have fantastic bowls like those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Sarah. I could eat it all day everyday!

      Delete
  3. Yum! Your soup looks so delicious...totally love french onion soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had Nichole's blog a few months ago - it was good fun. Can't believe I missed this one! Pinned for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love french onion soup. Even though it's the middle of summer for me, it still sounds delicious. Beautiful pictures, wonderful blog and great SRC post.
    -Steph from Group C

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has had French Onion Soup on my list of things to make for a while now. This looks fantastic, perfect for this weather. Hope to try this out over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband obviously has good taste Trisha!

      Delete
  7. So glad you got those bowls as they look great in the shots. Pascale would be impressed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the perfect size Trace kept the soup nice and warm! :)

      Delete
  8. French onion soup is a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. homemade french onion soup...wow! it looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE the bowls ... and your new header image, gorgeous!! That soup sounds SO good too!! Chef John and I used to go to Applebees before kids for lunch fairly often and we'd usually have french onion soup and a salad for a light lunch. It has been way too long since I've had it and homemade is always best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Anne and what a wonderful memory! :)

      Delete
  11. Really like the shots in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick - appreciate your lovely comment!

      Delete

Love to hear from you!